Today was a pretty uneventful – some might even say boring – day until I noticed a SERIOUS problem with the website I’m working on.
Here’s the situation. For a project, I’m using Joomla!, K2 and Joomfish. Most of the site was built around the K2 component; and I use Joomfish for the translations. The last component proved to be a pain in the ass.
The problem? When using the “translated” version of my site, Joomfish had butchered my menu items. Everything worked fine where I link to a single K2 item – which is why it took so long for me to spot the problem. But when I visited one of the “Category pages”, I was shown a lot of information that shouldn’t be there. All K2 items were thrown together on one page, instead of showing only the items of the selected category.
Now what? I tried to analyze the problem -> Joomfish did something to my menu’s, and I assumed it had to do with K2. I was correct!
If, like me, you’re using a combination of K2 and Joomfish, and your menu starts to behave strangely, the fix is simple. Chucknology posted a solution on the K2 community forums.
The problem lies with Joomfish and how it “translated” menu links. When K2 comes into play, things can go wrong. Who’s fault is that? I don’t know. Alle I know is that Chucknology came up with a solution that works.
What you’ve got to do, is this:
- Download C’s customized menu.xml file. For your convenience, I’ve uploaded it to my Skydrive.
- FTP to your site: administrator > Components > com_joomfish > contentelements
- Overwrite the file menu.xml with the one you just downloaded. My advice is to rename the “old” file first, to something like notworking_menu.xml
That’s not all. Now, head back to your Joomla! site and go to the “translated” menu items. Scroll way down to the bottom, where you’re asked to translate the link. Click ‘copy’ and then click ‘save’. Repeat for every menu item that’s been misbehaving.
Credit goes to Chucknology (whatever his real name is) for coming up with the fix. I am merely a messenger.